Thursday, November 6, 2014

My First Meat Day

I don’t know what you may think of this title, but this is what it was, my first Meat Day. 
Ok, let me explain, one of the owners of the company that I worked for, ALBB, was a farmer.  Specifically he raised grass-fed cows.  And every year, he would slaughter one of his cows for his company picnic.  Could he call it the annual ALBB company picnic, or ALBB BBQ, or even the ALBB Employee Appreciation Day?  Nope, he called it, Meat Day.  I never went to the Meat Days, and the company didn't always have a great turnout.  I could never get past the whole “Meat Day” title.  Couldn't someone have told him don’t do that?  Although after dealing with the ego I wonder if anyone could tell him that.

Well, one day my ALBB rep came to visit me with a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies. She told me that the annual Meat Day was coming up and ALBB wanted to have it here on our work-site, so we would have a better attendance.  Also, we could invite our bosses to the picnic.  I said OK and I sent an email to Keith inviting him to an onsite BBQ.  Also after she left, I took the cookies to Keith’s office because I was following my diet.  While there, I told him that I sent him an email about our company BBQ, his reply was “Oh yeah, I read it and said yes, you don’t have to ask me twice about a BBQ. And, thanks for the cookies.”

A few days later I got a call from my company about our on site Meat Day, the event had been cancelled.  When I asked why, ALBB said that other employees on site said that CGTN would not allow us to have a BBQ on the company grounds.  So, I asked who told them that, ALBB did not have a response.  They had asked one of the other ALBB contractors to look into it.  So, I offered to look into it.  After I hung up the phone with ALBB I contacted CGTN’s Facilities Director and I asked him if he had denied our request for a picnic.  He had no idea that it was requested.  I asked him if were any issues about having a BBQ on site, he told me that if they followed all of the fire codes, it should be fine.  I contacted ALBB and provided them with the Facilities Director’s contact number and they worked out the rest.

On Meat Day, ALBB arrived in the morning and started the BBQ grill.  They prepared steaks (Porter House and T-Bones), Shish Kabobs and hamburgers with corn and baked potatoes.   

Keith and I came down; the other employees weren’t able to get their manager’s to come.  The ALBB owners and reps introduced themselves to Keith and they chatted briefly and they exchanged business cards.  ALBB made a good business contact that day.  The other employees who worked on site hardly spoke.  After Keith left our picnic, one of the other coworkers spoke.  He looked at me and said, “Do you know who that was?”  I responded, “Yea, that is my boss.”  And he replied, “But, do you know how important he is and what he does?”  I didn't respond again.  I just ignored him and left.

It is funny, I worked for this man for almost 3 years, and the other contractors who I barely knew me or worked with Keith assumed that because I was a Technical Writer and not a Technical employee or Manager that I was unable to comprehend my boss’ responsibilities or level of importance.  Politics in the DC area permeates all businesses in the area, especially when it comes to Federal government and contractors.   

No comments:

Post a Comment