Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Decisions… Part 5 – The Fallout!!

As I mentioned before, when I would walk into meetings or into a room, all talking would stop.  And, no it was not just the Caucasians in the department.  It was everyone.  I was not allowed to discuss what was going on until the final decision had been made.   However, everyone else was allowed to talk about it and did.  There were many debates.  In the end, Bob and Keith went against each other head to head over whether Annabel would keep her position.  Bill and Jeffrey were on Bob’s side and considering that Annabel had referred to them in a negative manner did not manner, because neither one was insulted by the racial slur.  Jeffrey felt that it never applied to him anyway because he was African.  Bill just thought that I had overreacted.  Some people thought that this was really an issue of power.  I wanted to prove how important I was.  However, as you already know, I did not really start this crazy ball rolling; I just got blamed for it.  I never understood while Annabel’s boss reported the issue to our boss, when I said that I was not going to do it.  I was told that he reported it because he was afraid that I was going to go back on my word and report it, and he did not think that Annabel would lose her job.  However, I do not believe this.  I do believe that he thought that Annabel would not lose her job.  I believe that he thought absolutely nothing would happen and that response to this situation would finally put me in my place. 

However, that is not what happened, it took over a month, but Annabel did lose her job.  Well,they temporarily removed her from the project.  Her boss kept her on the payroll and got her a job on another project.  And, after Keith and I had moved on to different projects, she returned to her job.  

The whole situation was very stressful, disappointing and eye-opening for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment