Sunday, September 7, 2014

This is a Government Contract…We do not lock people in Rooms!!

The title of this blog was the Director’s (Lester) response to the Deputy Director (Bob), after he found out why I was looking for another job within the project.  I had decided during my Easter vacation, that it was time for me to look for another job.  I had tried to keep the fact that I was looking for another position quiet, because I didn't want anyone to find out.  However, when I delivered my resume to the hiring manager upstairs, he went directly to Bob, and said, “I didn't know that Cara was available.  We will take her!! “   Bob, who by the way was happy to see me leave, wished me luck.   However,  he made the mistake of telling the Lester that I wanted to leave.  Lester was not happy and he wanted a reason.   I told him that there were many reasons.  And finally, there was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  He asked me to provide a list.  So, I provided him a list that consisted of the top ten reasons why I was leaving, and number one was the final straw.  This story is about that straw…

It was the Wednesday before Easter.  I was in a good mood because I was only working half a day, and I was then driving home to Detroit.   I got to my desk and started to log into my computer.  However, when I went to log in, I noticed that someone had been sitting at my desk, and someone had logged into my computer.  The person had not used my log in ID, but a Rational Tool’s administrator’s ID.   In commercial offices, an admin logging into your computer isn't a big deal, and it probably wasn't today. However, it is different on a government contract, if someone logs in to your computer, you should know why, even if it is for a standard upgrade.  It is just a matter of security.  So, I went to the Deputy Rational Tool’s lead, Dave and asked why someone had logged onto my computer this morning.  Was there an upgrade that I didn't know about, is there something wrong?  He told me that I needed to talk to another manager, and stated that they would explain what was going on.  So, I went to the next manager and he told me that a previous tools admin had made some errors on various desktops when she performed an upgrade, and that Dave logged into your computer to see if she had made a mistake on yours.  She hadn't performed your upgrade, so everything was fine.  So later that day when I passed Dave in the hallway, I asked him.  “Hey, why didn't you just say that it was you and what you were doing?”  His response was “Young lady, you don’t ask me about what I do or don’t do.”  My response was “I am not your wife or your child, and you don’t address me in such a manner.”  Well, apparently this upset him and he reported me to the Bob.  Later that day Bob asked to speak to me privately.  I said OK, and he said, let’s meet in the Software library.  I told him, that I don’t have access to library.   This wasn't strange because the library contained expensive software, computer and media equipment.  There were only few people whose badges could enter and exit the library.  Yes, if you did not have a badge that granted access, once inside you were locked in the room.  Well, he let me in and then he said that he would be right back.  He did not return for over a half an hour.  And no one came in, so I sat there, waiting and wondering why I was there.  When he did return, he brought Dave with him.  For the next 20 minutes, Bob went through this lecture to me about how everyone on this project is treated fairly and with respect.  There is no such thing as sexism on this project, so I should just take this idea out of my head.   He also stated that he left me in the room, because I needed to calm down and think about what I had done that day and how I had talked to Dave.  I looked at Dave, Dave didn't say anything; he just sat there looking stupid.  After, we left the room, Dave apologized for his behavior earlier that morning and he apologized for reporting me to Bob.   He told me that he didn't know that would happen.  However, it didn't matter to me.  I was livid!!  I had been locked in a room like a child.  

At the end of the day, it was time to drive home to Detroit.  I was very lucky that afternoon, because I didn't get a ticket driving home.   The average time it takes to get from Laurel, Maryland to Detroit, Michigan is about 8 hours.  I made it home in a little less than 6 hours. 

I didn't leave the job, although I probably should have.  An Emergency Exit door was installed at the server room entrance to the Software library.

#finalstraw
#livid
#sexism

No comments:

Post a Comment