Friday, January 23, 2015

My Mama Didn't Raise A Fool. I Ain't Goin’ Out Like No Punk.

I realized during my last blog, that I had never mentioned that profanity was not permitted on our government contract.  Profanity is not usually encouraged in the private sector either, but they are not usually strict about usage.  On my first government contract, we actually had a workshop on proper behavior in the workplace, internet use and profanity.  These issues were mentioned in our hiring contract; however an incident must have occurred because this topic was brought up again with policies that were stricter than before.  For example, profanity on the work site including phone had always been grounds for termination, but now you could be terminated if someone called or emailed you at work and they used profanity on government property.  We were told that if we had friends or family that contacted us on the job site, we needed to notify them of this new rule.

Well, obviously I didn't have to notify my mother.  Because, she is one of those people who believed and still believes that the Government is always listening.  However, I did have to call my friend Jill, who swore liked a sailor and my brother the truck driver, who swore like a truck driver.  So, I called them and I let them both know about the new policy.  I thought that there would be no complaints.  Also, I thought that I was dealing with mature adults.  I was wrong on both points.  My friend Jill and my brother had the same argument; they thought that it wasn't fair that I could be fired for something that someone else did.  My response was that life isn't fair and they were the customer and I was using their equipment on their time.  If my friend or my brother wanted to use profanity, they could still call me on my cell phone or email me on my personal email.  I didn't have an issue with that.  The real issue was convenience.  It was more convenient to call me or complain about their day while I was at work.  The other issue they had was the fact that the conversations and emails were being monitored.  Once again, it was the client’s equipment and their time.  Also, I didn't really care about that because I had already spent a large part of my career being monitored.  When I was in college, I did surveys for a marketing company.  They always monitored your calls.  Shortly after I graduated, I worked at TRW as a contractor, and monitoring calls was a standard procedure there as well.  So, I didn't really care.

I had a main concern as well, but neither my friend nor my brother was able to recognize it.  I just didn't want to be fired because of what someone else said to me over the phone.  I mean, how do you explain that on a job application?   Please enter why you were terminated:  “Well, my girlfriend had a bad day at work and she dropped the f*bomb while talking to me on the phone. “ or “Well someone cut my brother off while he was driving and talking to me and a stream of profanities were yelled out.”  This was not going to be my story!! I was not going to lose my job because they had no self control!!  My Mama did not raise a fool.... 

After arguing with them about the new rule, I simply stated that if you call me and you start swearing, I will hang up on you, immediately.  Do not be surprised.  Both Jill and my brother were able to hold it together for about a month.  Jill was first… 

Jill:  “Hi Cara, how are you?”
Me: “Fine, how’s it going?”
Jill:  “Crazy, you won’t believe what this mother.” (Click.) ”Hello..”

Jill called me 2 minutes later. 
Jill: “Did you just hang up on me?”
Me:  “Yep.
Jill:  “You’re serious, no swearing.  I am having a bad day.”
Me:  “Serious as a heart attack.  If you have to swear, it will have to wait until I get home.”
Jill:  “Well, I don’t think this new rule is fair.”
Me:  “Don’t care.  It is what it is; I will talk to you later.  Bye.”

The phone conversation with my brother took a similar route.  I don’t think he thought that I would hang up on them that fast.  For some reason they both thought that I would either warn them or not say anything.  Obviously they were mistaken. 

#profanity
#lifeisnotfair





No comments:

Post a Comment