Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mucking Around

Every once in a while when I was really busy, I liked to take a short break.  Usually, I would go to Angela’s desk and just talk or maybe be silly for a while.  I wouldn't do too much because at this time, Angela’s desk was right next to Keith’s office.  However, that usually didn't stop me from having a little fun. 

One day I went over to Angela’s desk, and there was a lot of commotion in front of Keith’s office.  The Infrastructure engineers and some of the managers were in front of his office.  They were upset because Keith had just removed their Administrative rights to the system and they were angry.  When they inquired why, Keith’s response was…”Why??!!  Because you are making changes to the testing environment without notifying the testers, the project, the lab managers or even the other engineers working in your department, and everyone is suffering.  We have issues with the environment all the time.  The projects are unable to get their testing completed on time and they are blaming us for not providing a stable environment.  We manage the labs, and we will control the system administration access.  From now on, if you want to make changes to the testing environment, you will have to make a request and provide a valid reason.  From now on, there will be no more Mucking around with the environment!”    (Note: The Government does not allow you to use profanity on government property.)  The yelling and arguing continued in front of his office for a good while.

Meanwhile, I turned to Angela, and said ”There will be no more Mucking around with the environment??”  “Yes.” She said.  “Haven’t you ever heard that word before?” She asked.  “No. But I like it.” I replied.  

Cara:  “Angela, have you been Mucking around with the environment?”
Angela: “No, Cara, I have not been Mucking around the environment.  Have you been Mucking around with the environment?”
Cara:   “Well, no, I have not been Mucking around, well at least not with the environment.  Angela, do you think that maybe they have been Mucking around with the environment, because they have not been able to Muck around?”
Angela:  “Well, I don’t know.  I just know that Keith just told them that they can’t Muck around with the environment anymore, so I guess they will have to find something else to Muck around with?”
Cara and Angela:  “Hmmn??!”

Keith:  “Hey!!  I have heard enough from the Peanut Gallery back there!!   Angela, don’t you some work to do?  Cara, I know that you have work to do.  I don’t have to ask.” 

Cara:  “ I was just taking a break.  I will go back to my desk” 

As I was walking back to my desk, I put my head down a little.  Keith showed no sympathy, Meanie.  I guess he meant it, no more Mucking around.

 #muckingaround

No comments:

Post a Comment