Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Christmas Story – The Value of Home

The holidays were coming upon us and a memo was sent out requesting our vacation time.  Ryan and I had been running the daily change meeting for more than 6 months.  He had taken over the meeting, and as co-chair, I was his back up.  I thought that we had finally settled down and were working as a team.  At least, that is what I thought… 


One day we received the memo from management requesting us to submit our vacation time for Christmas and New Years.  I assumed that Ryan and I would sit down and discuss what time we would take off for the holidays.  Obviously, there was going have to be some concessions.  However, the same day that the memo was sent, Keith called me into his office.  When I got there, he asked me “Are you sure you don’t want to go home at all for the holidays?”  “What are you talking about?” I responded.  “Well, Ryan is going to England to visit his parents for the holidays and he is staying for a month, he is leaving on the 20th of December and he is returning on the 20th of January.  He said that you would run the meeting during that time.”  “What!!!  He hasn't said anything to me.”  I replied.  Next, I stormed out of his office and I went to his desk.  I asked him why he had submitted his holiday schedule
without even saying a word to me.  Beverly was standing at his desk and she decided to interject with her opinion.  “Well, Cara, you have to understand, Ryan is going to Europe to visit his family.  Europe!!  You on the other hand would just be going to Detroit to visit your family.  You have to understand that.”  I turned to her and I said, “You need to mind your own business and shut the hell up!!”  Next, I looked at Ryan, but before I said anything, he stated that we could sit down and discuss what time we would be taking off during the holiday season, because he hadn't schedule his flight yet.  But, that didn't matter, I was mad, and Beverly’s statement, made it worse.  All I say was red.  I was so angry that I told him no.  I said, “I am going home for the holidays, at least for Christmas and I will return when I get damn well get ready.”  He asked me when I would leave, my response again was “When I damn well get ready!  I will send my schedule and you can work your vacation around it.” and I went back to my desk.  I calmed down and I sent my holiday schedule to management, I took two weeks off for Christmas and I returned shortly before New Years.  There was some overlap on scheduled time off; however, management took ran the daily meeting for those few days.  Ryan was still gone for about a month, however, he was annoyed that I was unwilling to negotiate with him and that Keith had let me get away with my behavior.  I, myself did not care.  I just knew that I was going to see my mother and my friends for Christmas and that was all I cared about.  

Merry Christmas!!  If you didn't make it home for the holidays, may you be at home next year.  I know that I will be...

#homefortheholidays
#Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment